The Queensland Action Group for LGBTIQ+ students was formed on 19 April 2013 to address discrimination and bullying of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and questioning (LGBTIQ+) students in Queensland education settings.
This is a volunteer group with no funding or financial structure. Committee meetings are held approximately every two months, usually by video/teleconference. Between meetings we work and communicate by email.
LGBTIQ+ students and allies are; welcome, safe and supported in reaching their full potential in all education settings in Queensland.
1. All teachers and education personnel in Queensland receive training in LGBTIQ+ equity.
2. Comprehensive LGBTIQ+ policy frameworks and guidelines are available in all educational settings in Queensland.
3. Support services and systems for LGBTIQ+ youth are available within and external to educational contexts.
4. Gender neutral and non-binary needs are recognised in all education settings in Queensland.
5. Support for parents and carers of LGBTIQ+ children and young people is promoted within and external to educational contexts in Queensland.
6. Research into LGBTIQ+ equity for students, educational personnel and allies is extended and promoted in Queensland.
7. The work and reputation of the Action Group grow, both in Queensland and nationally.
Some supporters of the action group are:
- Queensland Teachers Union
- P&Cs Qld
- The Federation of Parents & Friends Associations of Catholic Schools in Queensland
- Independent Education Union of Australia – Queensland and Northern Territory Branch
- Independent Schools Queensland
- Relationships Australia Queensland
- Dr Stephen Stathis
- LGBTI Legal Service
- The Smith Family
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Ohana for Youth
- Wesley Mission Brisbane
- Queensland AIDS Council
- Australian Transgender Support Association Queensland
- Young People Ahead (Mt Isa)